1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo-Should I even bother to apply?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dap825, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I would like your, and anyone else who'd like to weigh in on this, opinion on what I should do. I don't know any teachers here in the UK, so I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of.

I'm British but spent the last 20 years in the US, where I obtained my degrees and art teaching experience. I have a BFA in Photography and a Masters in Art and Art Education from the number 2 program in the US, Teachers College Columbia University. In the US it's done differently, and my teaching training was a part of my Masters degree. I completed over 30 weeks of Student Teaching, and passed the 3 exams necessary to become a Certified Teacher (from what I can gather, like the Qualified Teacher Status) by the New York State Department of Education. I taught for over 3 years at a school for gifted and talented students before being made redundant. (Art is not a tested subject in the US, and it's always the first to go during a recession.) Before I went into teaching, I had a career in commercial photography and Museum education, teaching HIstory of Art programs to children at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, and I"m an exhibited artist.

OK. I've applied for my degrees to be recognised by NARIC, the results are pending, but I'm not anticipating any problems with it. But I understand that none of my teaching credentials are transferable and that, to get a teaching post here, I'd have to be employed as an Unqualified teacher. I sort of feel that my experiences are very good and I've applied to many positions but haven't gotten one interview, nor have I been able to get any specific feedback. It feels like I'm beating my head against a brick wall!

My questions for you:

-What are the chances of being hired as an unqualified teacher with no UK teaching experience? Should I even bother? From what I was able to infer from a conversation with a woman at TDA, a school would have to really go out of their way to hire me, and I'm assuming that's not terribly likely.
    -If there is a chance of getting hired, is it safe to assume that only the worst schools--where no one else wants to teach--would be the ones to do it?
    -Also, I understand that unqualified teachers only make 15,000 pounds a year, which would be impossible for myself and husband to live on--is that salary negotiable or a national standard?

I"m currently in the southeast but am happy to relocate anywhere in the UK for a teaching job but I have started to look outside of teaching. From where I stand, my chances don't look very good, so I feel I'll likely have to abandon teaching but, as I don't know the field here at all, I'd love your opinion on the matter. Sorry for the long post!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Teaching in Britain without QTS? Yes I'm sure no QTS will be a disadvantage, especially at the present time with vast numbers of unemployed qualifiedteachers.
    Art is not exactly a high priority subject & posts are possiblly likely to attract large numbers of candidates from what I gathered from art colleagues.
    Pay scale? No idea what the rate is for an unqualified teacher / instructor (the new term I find is becoming used in school for people who teach but don't have formal qualifications) I'm afraid.
    If you can go anywhere in Britain, the 'connurbations' are definitely the place to look & supply may be a route you could take to get yourself known.
    Not much hope there I'm afraid, but if you never try you'll never know.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hate to start with a moan, but a long long post with no paragraphs and questions hidden in the middle is hard going!
    1) The job situation is very difficult at present. So far this year there have been between 25% and 33% fewer jobs advertised than last year - it depends which part of the country. The end of March is normally a Big Date, with TES so big it can hardly be picked up by old weaklings like me. But was there anything special about the 25 March TES? No? No, because the big rush that has always come just didn´t.
    2) Schools are cutting down on budgets, so Art is not going to be a priority
    3) Schools are scared of Ofsted, so they will always go for people with clear understanding and experience of the English education system.
    Sorry to give you bad news, but with large numbers of unemployed teachers who are UK recently trained and experienced, you are clearly not going to be the one whose application is picked out of the pile of 200-300 others.
    Best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. shughesbio88

shughesbio88 New commenter

Dap, have you thought about FE?
    I know as a relative newbie to the profession (I'm still training) that I don't have the understanding of most of the people on the forum, but I believe FE colleges will employ those without QTS/QTLS although you will be required to study for QTLS within 2 years I believe.
    The job situation is still dire in FE however, and there are few positions. I have been told lots of colleges like you to get a "foot in the door" so maybe you could volunteer to teach in a local college (obviously dependent on your current job) most would leap at the chance. It would give you experience, a networking opportunity and shows that you have a commitment to the career (despite the struggles of moving continents!)

Thats just my thoughts, good luck with your applications :)