1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: shortlisted for a job I didn't apply for ...??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by aspire_teach, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hi, I have applied to a school with both a KS1 and Ks2 position available (year groups in both flexible). In my letter of application, I clearly stated I would prefer a lower Key Stage two class or, if I were to be offered a KS1 job, a Yr 2 class. I got shortlisted today for interview later this week (yay) but was told that I had been selected for the "NQT Reception position." I found this a bit odd; nowhere had I stated I wanted to teach this age range; nor do I want to at this stage, and no mention had previously been made of a Reception post when I went to visit. The even odder thing is that I am being asked to teach a Yr 4 class in the interview lesson. Should I ring and ask for confirmation of the year groups, or turn up on the day and enquire at the interview stage? The school hasn't got an email on their website.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, you can suck it and see.
    Getting an interview is already a Good Thing (Congrats, by the way), so why miss the chance of going there and impressing them? (Unless you are losing out on a day's supply pay).
    Go there, wow'em, and then decide if you want Reception.
    Good luck!
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

3. Thanks Theo. I guess I'm just a little worried the school has me down for a EY role for some unknown reason and will ask me questions relevant to that phase. I have never taught it before and know nowt about their curriculum. I am of course eager for any experience going so I have confirmed my attandance for the day. They are shortlisting candidates as they go, so I may not even make it to the interview stage once I have done the lesson. Hmmmm ...!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It has occurred to me that it's a mistake . . . so many letters going out, they wrote the wrong one in yours!
    I'm looking forward to that new thread Dear Theo - I got the job!
    Best of British

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

<a name="6835716">[/URL]