1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Selling myself (not literally!!)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Luckydip, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Luckydip

Luckydip New commenter

Dear Theo

I am taking drastic action and have decided to send my cv and a covering letter to schools in my area in pursuit of getting a job. I was wondering if you have any literature of any examples or points that I should put in my covering letter to help me?

Thank you very much

2. Luckydip

Luckydip New commenter

Dear Theo

I am taking drastic action and have decided to send my cv and a covering letter to schools in my area in pursuit of getting a job. I was wondering if you have any literature of any examples or points that I should put in my covering letter to help me?

Thank you very much

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know you're frustrated & totally understand your desperation, but would advise caution blanket-mailing CVs- have heard they often can go straight in the bin before any SMt ever get to see them. Personal visits with some 'details' to leave behind can yield better results & possible dave you a lot of wasted time.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh dear, shoild read SMT not SMt and 'save' not 'dave' of course.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I know, I know - it's hard out there trying to get a job!
    But to be honest, unsolicited applications are only of any use if the school has a sudden emergency the day your letter arrives, and you are available immediately.
    Otherwise, as Lara says, they can be weeded out by the office staff before they even get to the Head.
    The only way that they might, might be useful would be if you could address the letter to the relevant Head of department in a Secondary School. Ring up to get the name. And perhaps include something eye-catching - say examples of pupil work.
    But even then, it wouldn't get you a permanent FT post. They will advertise and expect you to apply.
    My job-seeking application advice is all in the Welcome thread. General step-by-step for NQTs is in
    <h3>What over 50% of 2010 NQTs and 34% of 2009 NQTs want for Christmas is . . </h3>I feel desperately sorry for all of you people who have so much enthusiasm, so much commitment, so much to give to children, and yet there aren't enough jobs for you.
    Very best of luck.

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!