1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: selection process in independent special school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by baileysonice, Nov 8, 2011.

1. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

The supply agency I've been working for since May (in both teaching and support roles in mainstream and special schools) has introduced me to a very small independent primary for SEBD pupils. I spent the day there yesterday and the head now wants me to go in for a further morning this week and teach a session to a very small class of Y6 boys.

So far, it's not been the formal selection process I've come across in mainstream state schools during my fruitless search for a post to continue my NQT induction. I'm not even sure if there are any other candidates or what further stages there might be in the process. I really liked the family atmosphere, structured behaviour management procedures and strong spirit of teamwork at the school, so I'm definitely interested although I'm aware that I'll need further training in Team Teach (the head expects new staff to go through their training anyway so shouldn't be a problem).

The head has indicated that NQT induction could be available which I wasn't expecting as it's an independent special school with very few pupils and the post is initially to cover PPA/SLT for part of the week and a job-share the rest of the week. It sounds quite promising even though it's not an option I'd considered previously. I've had four unsuccessful interviews this year and my confidence is at a low ebb.

I know you're the host of both the independent and jobseekers forums so I wondered if you could offer any advice please? Many thanks and apologies for lack of paragraphs.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First of all - well done for impressing them! This is a very difficult job, and not one I'd feel competent to do, so you have my admiration for (a) doing it and (b) doing it so well.
    Now - I'm not sure that I am competent here to even offer advice. Are you saying: Should I accept a job here? My answer would be: A job is a job is a job. If in addition you find it worthwhile, satisfying, then that's an extra. have you seen people on this Forum being pleased to get jobs as TAs, and in Tesco? Life is hard at the moment.
    Are you saying: Will I be able to get induction, and does it matter if I don't? then I can't answer the first bit, as I am not sure about the rules. Doing Job Share suggests that you have responsibility for a class, so that's good. But whether or not a Special School (is it, can it, run the NC?) falls into the category for doing induction, I just don't know.
    As for whether it matters if you get your induction done or not, again I really don't know. Some time you will want to get it done.
    Finally, if you are asking, as your title suggests, about the selection process - well, each school is individual, and indies are doubly individual, so anything goes!
    My overall impression is that you have done well so far, so good luck for the rest of the week!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

Thanks Theo, I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking myself! It's all come out of the blue suddenly and I'm going to find out as much as I can when I go back into the school. I worked as a TA for 6 years before I gained QTS and I found working with SEBD pupils can be rewarding but also draining! I'm going to phone the school to find out what ability levels the individual pupils are working at so I can hopefully plan an appropriate session. Will keep you posted and thanks again.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agree you've done well to impress so far and that's doubly difficult in EBD units with their own unique challenges. By the way, I think it's normal to have smaller pupil to adult ratios in special Education
    If the Head's indicated you could do induction I'd say go for it - nothing ventured nothing gained. With so many pupils in mainstream with varieties of syndromes that experience won't be lost and you'll have more to offer a future school.