1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Seen the school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by BertyBoo, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Ok so, I have seen the state school. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

It felt right, was shown round the dept. Had a lovely cup of tea with the Head of Department and then got all of the questions answered that I wanted answering and some more. Infact, spent 45 mins sat down talking about the dept. Talked about potential projects/expansions of the department if I were to become Head of Department. Met the admin assistant for the dept and met one other member of staff who seemed lovely but it was fleeting as she was in a lesson.

Really just loved it. As I say, felt right.

Am going to finish the application form tonight in light of some of the points raised today. I left saying 'what a wonderful school, thanks for taking the time to speak to me and you must be proud of such a lovely department'.

However, the fear...

1) What if I don't get an interview.
    2) What if there is an internal candidate - I fear there might be. Theo - I have read the threads and done the searches on this but there is something in my head which is still saying ARGGGGHHHH!!!

PLEASE CAN I GET THIS JOB!

What does anyone think about the points above?

2. Ok so, I have seen the state school. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

It felt right, was shown round the dept. Had a lovely cup of tea with the Head of Department and then got all of the questions answered that I wanted answering and some more. Infact, spent 45 mins sat down talking about the dept. Talked about potential projects/expansions of the department if I were to become Head of Department. Met the admin assistant for the dept and met one other member of staff who seemed lovely but it was fleeting as she was in a lesson.

Really just loved it. As I say, felt right.

Am going to finish the application form tonight in light of some of the points raised today. I left saying 'what a wonderful school, thanks for taking the time to speak to me and you must be proud of such a lovely department'.

However, the fear...

1) What if I don't get an interview.
    2) What if there is an internal candidate - I fear there might be. Theo - I have read the threads and done the searches on this but there is something in my head which is still saying ARGGGGHHHH!!!

PLEASE CAN I GET THIS JOB!

What does anyone think about the points above?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Calm down, calm down!
    Q1 Well, just ensure that you follow
    EXACTLY the advice in the shortlisting clickables. It's got many an
    interview in the past.
    Q2 I do wish people wouldn't think that
    Internal candidates are bound to gett he job. Why would anyone be
    stupid enough to deliberately choose someone who isn't the best
    person?
    Some internals get it, some don't.
    The trouble is that when an internal gets it, the other candidates think: It was a put-up job! That's easier than thinking: I wasn't good enough. So they go around telling everyone that nobody can win against an internal. Makes them feel better about not getting the job.
    You just concentrate on doing that outstanding application.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

The TES Careers Advice
    service runs seminars, one-to-one careers and applications advice,
    one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.

I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.

Look forward to seeing you then!

4. Thanks Theo - can you please come and sit on a shelf here and be calming all the time :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter