1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Seems like supply work is the *ONLY* option for qualified OTTs!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by marianna80, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am an MFL teacher (French) trained abroad (Bachelors and Masters in Paris) with over 10 years of teaching experience. After being awarded QTS last January (with NQT exemption) by GTC, I thought that securing a role in a school would be possible, despite my lack of teaching experience in the UK.
    10 months into my job search, I haven't been able to find a role yet (F/T or P/T), despite numerous applications to schools. In fact, schools seem to be very reluctant to even shortlist me for an interview, citing my lack of experience in the UK (and consequent lack of UK references) as the main reason - seems like references from my previous employers are not enough?
    I'm not writing this to moan about how things are - I'm really not interested in that. My only concern / question is what do I need to do in order to secure a role in a school.
    Right now the only way forward seems to be going down the supply teaching route (hoping to get experience / references)? Is that really all there is for qualified OTTs? Any other thoughts / advice?
    Thanks!

2. Unfortunately not much doing in supply either. Day to day is almost non-existent and most agencies advertise jobs that don't exist either - they just want to get you in to register and so are seen to meet their targets. My own agency are quite honest and are not taking any more teachers onto their books as there just isn't the work.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, and actually rather understandable in the current climate.,
    Ofsted can give 2 days' notice then descend on a school to inspect. The result can actually cost a Head their job, if not what the Governors wanted. So to appoint someone who may need their hand held at first is a bit of a risk . . . Heads will play safe and may prefer therefore to appoint someone who has familiarity with and an understanding of UK schools, through being UK trained and experienced. Whereas you do not even have a NQT induction year under your belt.
    Well, they can certainly tell of your teaching skills, its all the other bureaucratic things that are everyday currency to teachers here that they cannot speak of.
    You may not have worked with a SENCo for your EAL pupils, or those with SLDD or MLDD. You may have no experience of working with a TA or having a HLTA covering your PPA. You almost certainly won't have done any CPD on inclusion, or CP and the 5 principles of ECM. You will be unfamiliar with the collection and use of data for supporting learning, and its associated jargon! What does contextual value-added data mean, how is it more important for some schools (which schools?) than the plain value-added data? Learning achievement tracking - would you use PANDA or Raise online? What are the EYFS targets? Could you do levelling for KS1 SATs?
    Do you have even a vague understanding of all this jargon?
    Just trying to let you see their point of view!
    What you need to do is sit down and think what are the advantages for a school of having someone with your wider experience, and set this out plainly in your application. Are you following all the davice that I give, by the way? There's a summary of it in:
    Dear Theo ''application form horror!!''
    Yes, getting Supply work will allow you to become familiar with the UK education system and the culture of UK schools, so that should make your search easier.
    If you are lucky enough to get supply work, of course.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars