1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: secondary supply teacher offered permanent TA position in primary - help?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by isabelmackaij, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I qualified as a secondary history teacher last June, and have been doing supply work since then. Work has been pretty thin on the ground, so I expanded my field by taking a TA role in a primary school. It was supposed to be for a week but I have been asked if I want to stay on until I find a permanent job. I'm really enjoying the experience, the school is great and I'm learning a lot, but of course I'd rather be teaching. I am seriously considering trying to get into primary teaching since it's been great so far and I think it would suit me, but I'm not sure whether taking a permanent role as a TA until something better comes along would look good on my CV. Would taking the role actually be helpful in trying to get my foot in the door in primary teaching, or would I just be limiting my chances to actually find a teaching role, primary or secondary?

Your opinion would be very much appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, here you are - from the Horse's Mouth:
    TA job offered? Take it! Advice from a Head...
    Heads will understand that you are doing what you can to keep alive, so it shouldn't undermine your chances of getting a teaching job. Obviously, being in a teaching job would be better, but this is the next best thing.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. I would say it looks a lot better than the alternative (having a huge gap on your CV / bitty supply work). The fact that a school initially wanted you for a week and then extended it indefinitely also looks pretty good and could be something to mention in any future job applications or interviews. Primary is so competitive and it is hard for even a primary trained teacher to get a job, so if you want a move to primary teaching in the future then this is possibly the best way of doing it (in the current climate there isn't much supply) and showing you really care about primary teaching (i.e. taking a lower paid role first to gain experience).

4. Also, maybe use the opportunity of being in primary (and not having a huge workload as if you were teaching) to maybe offer some kind of club at lunch or after school that could boost your applications in future.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Really good advice from Kitkat there!

6. Thanks for the replies, the club idea is brilliant! I've got some ideas so I'll suggest them tomorrow. Quite simply the school is very supportive and understands the position I'm in, so I'll go with it as I think I'll kick myself later if I don't!