1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo -Secondary NQT in a Middle School

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Jul 4, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that job - as you say, it sounds as though it will be a great experience.
    Obviously, a school looking for someone with GCSE experience won't get that in you. But then, as a NQT you don't have that experience either (hardly count TP), so not that much of a down.
    But to get some experience with older pupils, really the only thing is to ask your HoD if s/he knows the HoD in the local Secondary, and could it be possible for you to help with an after-school activity.
    Not exam group experience, I know, but it would show enterprise and willingness to do something extra, if it were possible.
    Best wishes!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

2. Thank you for the advice Theo, it is much appriciated!
    I am looking forward to starting but have to say, I was worried about how it would impact on me gaining a post in a Secondary school following this.
    The HoD is the person I am covering, but I will definitley ask my Mentor about the possiblilty of contact with the local Secondarys.
    Thanks again.

3. Also - sign up for gcse marking. Valuable experience and a some holiday money!

4. Ah yes, that would also be a good idea thank you!
    How exactly would you go about obtaining gcse marking work? Is there a specific place to apply, say exam boards or is it a more local/regional thing?

5. Wrong time of year now but marking vacancies will be on their websites, eg aqa, edexcel etc. You can apply for as many different exams as you think you can manage. Edexcel also do various functional skills qualifications - i don't think it even matters what subject you teach to mark these. Usually about £4 per paper so an allocation of 500 adds up.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What a good idea!
    I should have thought of that! Well done FruitGumGirl.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.