1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo : Science interview task

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nataliegon90, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,

I have an interview next week and have been asked to teach Science in my interview lesson. The lesson will last approx 30-35 mins with a Year 4 class of 16 (14 males, 2 females). I have had some initial ideas but I am not very confident in this subject area!

I was thinking of doing a lesson with the LO - To understand how to classify solids and liquids. I thought I could start by sharing a block of wood and a bottle of water and asking pupils to describe their properties. I then thought doing a little drama by asking pupils to stand together like a solid/liquid and giving them simple definitions. I was then going to split pupils into 4 groups of 4 and get them to invesitgate a wide range of materials such as paper, water, syrup, wood, plastic etc and getting pupils to categorise the materials and wiritng down why they are in that category. Then I was going to go through each material and get pupils ideas, ask them for definitions of solid/liquid and ask them to self-evaluate.

Sorry that is a long post I am just a little unsure of this lesson idea!!
    Please help, thanks!

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

My only concern would be that they will have already done this unit - my year 4's have. Could you pinch something from a Year 5 unit? Maybe the effect exercise has on your heart rate for example? Minimal resources, simple method of testing. Partner work to make predictions brainstorm ideas of how it could be tested, how to make it a fair test, how to record results(great afl opportunities). Have a results table ready for LA's to show differentiation. Test by counting pulse beats before exercise (modelling how to take pulse from neck & wrist to give both options), then get them to jog on the spot for 30 secs & take pulse again, another burst of exercise & take pulse again. Work on conclusion together.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting this interview!
    Yes, Lara is right - you must be VERY careful about getting ideas from a public forum.
    Not being mean, being sensible - here is my Blue-Peter-I-Prepared-It-Earlier answer on this:
    Sorry, but . . . I don't give help, ideas, comments or ANYTHING about interview lessons.
    And I don't suggest that any other poster does, either.
    There are 3 main reasons for that:
    Firstly, it's got to be you, and your ideas, so that you feel comfortable about what you're doing, and so that the school sees you, and not me or somebody else. And secondly and more importantly, because <u>you</u> are the expert here, not me!
    So you will just have to sit down, think of what your aims are (including the Ofsted criteria - one of the links in the Interview Tips clickable in the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum says what schools are looking for in interview lessons),
    Take a look also at my Possible interview questions clickable in the Welcome thread
    Make sure you plan a lesson that enables children to progress, and have a plan that you will press on the observer that includes differentiation, just in case you don't get round to using it in the lesson itself.
    And a third reason is that this is a public forum, and other candidates for the same job might see the suggestions too . . . and wouldn't you look daft doing the same thing!
    One of the other Heads on this Forum recently had 4, FOUR, candidates who used a lesson that they had got from the Primary Forum on here. She recognised it.
    Wouldn't have mattered if she hadn't, because all 4 of them did the same thing, which sort of gave the game away.
    Heads expect you to prepare your own lesson, so I'm afraid that you're going to have to sit down and work on it.
    But do go and look at the advice in the Welcome thread on the JobSeekers Forum
    Best of luck!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!