1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - schools asking for references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by clangercrazy, May 14, 2011.

1. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Hi
    I applied for a job recently, at a school I was really interested in. I visited the school before hand. Incidentally so did my partner.
    A few days after applying and the deadline passing my current head teacher was emailed requesting a reference (so was my partner's head teacher...). Only the first referee was contencted, not the second one.
    Anyway, this was about 10 days ago, and neither of us have heard anything else from the school.
    I'm just a little confused - does this mean that they asked for references and used this as a means to shortlist? I didn't think they could do this (neither does my head or deputy head who are equally confused). I thought that references could only be asked,for before interview, but after short listing had taken place? Or have we all got that completely wrong?! Would thy really ask for and look throught 60 + references alongside applcations (as this is the amount of applicants on average for each job in this area...) Seems crazy!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some schools do a Long List - say 15 applicants - and ask for references.
    Then they consider the whole package for each applicant (application form, statement or letter, executive summary if done, references) and short list from that.
    Yes they can - and do!
    But it may also mean that they are just a bit slow - you might hear yet!
    Good luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!