1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - School Visits

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bolz7891, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hello,

I am currently a primary PGCE student and a job has appeared in a school I would love to work in that is suitable for NQT's. However, this school is in an area is about an hour away from where I currently live (I am living here due to my PGCE) and being on placement at the moment until the end of March means a visit to the school I am really keen on is nearly impossible. I'm just wondering what the implications of this may be? I am very keen to visit the school and a little worried I may not be able too! I was wondering if it was a done thing to ring a school and explain why I would be unable to visit and ask if it would be possible to have a brief chat over the phone about the school and the job at an appropriate time for them? - or if you thought it might be worth giving them a ring over half term to see if anyone would be in school to show me around? I know the senior staff of my placement school will be in school at various points during this half term, and wondered if this was a common thing? I know the answer is probably 'give it a go and see' but just wanted a little advice as well! Thanks for any advice, much appreciated! :eek:)

2. Hello,

I am currently a primary PGCE student and a job has appeared in a school I would love to work in that is suitable for NQT's. However, this school is in an area is about an hour away from where I currently live (I am living here due to my PGCE) and being on placement at the moment until the end of March means a visit to the school I am really keen on is nearly impossible. I'm just wondering what the implications of this may be? I am very keen to visit the school and a little worried I may not be able too! I was wondering if it was a done thing to ring a school and explain why I would be unable to visit and ask if it would be possible to have a brief chat over the phone about the school and the job at an appropriate time for them? - or if you thought it might be worth giving them a ring over half term to see if anyone would be in school to show me around? I know the senior staff of my placement school will be in school at various points during this half term, and wondered if this was a common thing? I know the answer is probably 'give it a go and see' but just wanted a little advice as well! Thanks for any advice, much appreciated! :eek:)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why on earth do they insist on this?
    Suppose you lived 500 miles away? Or couldn't afford to give up a day's supply to visit?
    But schools don't listen to me (wonder why? [​IMG]), so you have to make the best of it.
    Your suggestion is a good one, go for it!
    And if you can't visit, make sure that you say in your letter that you had hoped to but it was impossible. Some Heads are rumoured to reject candidates who don't visit unless there's a good reason why . . .
    Bonkers.
    They could lose a good candidate.
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. This is exactly the same kind of situation as me! I'm currently working in behaviour intervention type stuff and don't finish until 4:30pm, and most afternoons I'm working in outreach schools so can't just leave earlier. I'm in that awkward situation where I'm *almost* 100% certain my job will go (good ol' ConDems..) but haven't been given notice, therefore am not entitled (according to my manager) to visit within work hours - I work over my paid hours every day, you'd think she'd let me out 30 minutes early! Schools generally want me there by half 4 - near impossible, as I work right in the city centre or north of it, and getting out after 3:45 is a nightmare! Phone calls have worked well though - often when you visit, they just show you the school which is usually empty of children anyway, so you don't get a real feel for it. It's the conversation with the Head that proves most beneficial, I think. My handy tip for phone contact: have a list of questions ready and tick them off as the Head speaks; also helps avoid that awkward moment when they ask 'Have you any questions?' and every question you meant to ask leaps away from your brain..!
    Having said all that, when I did my PGCE, my Uni told us that if heading out to see a school I was going to apply to, my placement schools had to let me go. Obviously, do it wisely, i.e. not in the middle of the day where you'll miss most of your teaching day. If you're still completing your work etc, then I shouldn't see your placement school would be too bothered - after all, it's your future you're looking at getting sorted! I just picked wisely, didn't go to every school (like some fellow students did, really took the mick!) - my placement school was fabulous, really supportive and gave me some great interview advice (along with Theo on here too...!).
    Good luck!