1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - School visit protocol and decision making

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wigglyworm, Feb 21, 2009.

1. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Dear Theo
    I do hope you don't mind my returning to this, but I'd really like to get my head round the process and am just still not grasping it.
    I can see the argument for not withdrawing having accepted an offer as this puts the school in an awkward position - and indeed a candidate would not expect an offer of employment to be withdrawn.
    I am not however grasping the concept of only 3 days to resign and how this structure impacts on the way schools make offers - surely these 3 days are more cut-off points? Schools recruit throughout the year and are therefore making offers of work throughout the year - couldn't a longer recruitment process allowing time for reflection on both sides be built within the timeframes for resignation from existing posts? If a school contacted interviewees after the interview day then it would be possible to make an offer to a preferred candidate, give that candidate time for reflection and if the offer is refused make a further offer to another good candidate if thought suitable - or indeed re-advertise if noone suitable is appointed.
    Is it that schools need to be certain of recruitment on the day they select for interview as they may not have time (or money) to keep re-advertising before teachers would have to resign to take up post as required? And is that why they set up a system that requires that all who attend an interview day and subsequently decide they would not work at the school must withdraw before the offer stage so that they know they have firm candidates?
    I swear I'm not trying to be awkward I'd just love to understand the system and I'm obviously missing the point somewhere!

ww

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, those are cut-off points - but because these points are the same in all schools, there's a lot of pressure. But schools are not interviewing and making offers all through the year, they are only doing it when they know that they have a vacancy, which may be only when someone resigns. They then have to get someone to accept so that they can give notice before a cut-off point. This means that the interviews and offers are very clustered; your second favourite may no longer be available 2 days later as they've already accepted another job.
    Schools cannot afford the time or money (do you KNOW how much a TES job ad costs?) to re-advertise. As candidates have only 3 leaving dates, schools have in essence only 3 recruitment points.
    I'm sorry if I'm not explaining it well enough, but believe me: you cannot wait for a candidate's decision!

3. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Thank you for having the patience to explain. I just haven't been getting my head around the system all schools are following - I know it will seem patently obvious to you but it's not always clear from a newbie's perspective.
    Best wishes

ww

4. I can only give you advice on State School...
    Yes - you must visit! A visit 3 yrs ago is not sufficient. Unless there are extreme circumstances e.g. you live hundreds of miles away, scholls are very unlikely to offer an interview to someone they haven't meet and chatted to. The visit is almost like a pre-interview - for you and them. There are so many applicants for jobs at the moment, that I recommend visiting, even if it is after school.
    Hope this helps

5. Sorry, that should've said 'schools'!

6. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Thanks for your input - I rather feel damned if I do and damned if I don't!
    I can't do anything now regarding my state application as we are past the closing date so I will just have to wait and see if the fact I did not visit has any tangible impact on selection for interview.
    ww

7. Hi
    As someone who has applied for over 60 jobs in the last 2 years. I know it is not physically possible to visit all the schools you apply for especially as most of the visiting times are in the day or straight after school, and unfortunately not all head teachers are supportive of having time off for visits especially when you need time off for interviews aswell. My advice would be to prioritise and just visit the schools that you are really interested in. I have experienced visits where there has been 30 people looking round the school at the same time and that was just 1 of 5 visits for that week so at the interview i had to mention that i had been to visit as they had no record of who had come and who hadnt come for a visit and i do feel going for a visit doesnt really sway schools in whether to employ you or not it just depends how you come across in the actual interview. I do feel having a visit does help you get an impression of the school, although saying that schools aren't always the same as they look as a visitor once u are a member of staff. Anyway good luck x