1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo ... School Viewing Questions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by xSJLx, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I'm currently looking for my first teaching post and have some viewings of potential schools lined up.
    What kind of questions would you suggest for asking as I view the school?
    I know that it is important to make a good impression on these visits so I want to ask the right things to give me a good chance of being remembered for the right reasons and securing an interview.

2. I'm currently looking for my first teaching post and have some viewings of potential schools lined up.
    What kind of questions would you suggest for asking as I view the school?
    I know that it is important to make a good impression on these visits so I want to ask the right things to give me a good chance of being remembered for the right reasons and securing an interview.

3. missgeo

missgeo New commenter

Slightly highjacking this but does it matter if you cannot get in to view the school? I'm on placement so will not be able to see the school, though know it well through other people. Should I get in touch with the school and explain why I can't visit? It's all done online so no other reason to contact the school.

4. As far as I know it shouldn't matter if you view the school or not - many people can't due to work commitments, my main problem is that I'm looking for jobs which are 70 miles away from home - I'm planning a move but it's currently difficult for me to get time off work to view places. However, a friend of mine was told that she almost didn't get an interview because she hadn't viewed the school - she got the job in the end though!
    As there are schools which I can't view but am very interested in I was planning on emailing these schools and explaining that due to work commitments I am unable to attend any of the visits, however I would like to arrange a short phone call with the head just to ask a few questions. I was then going to have about 4 questions which I wanted to find out after viewing the website.
    Just thought that doing this could make you remembered when it comes to shortlisting.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're right - it shouldn't, but sometimes it does. Daft! So do make sure that you explain in your application that you wanted to but couldn't. A phonecall can be a good idea, as long as you remember that you are being "interviewed" while you are phoning!
    As for what to ask - the best way to get ideas here is to do a search - top left of the Forum page - in this forum. Search visit questions and you'll get loads of threads about this, and general advice too.
    Don't forget to read the shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread, and the FAQs. They have helped loads of people!
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!