1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- School Council Interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kcoleman22, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I have my first interview coming up soon for a KS2 post (I am an NQT) and in the letter inviting me to interview it says this will include a short q & a session from children on the school council. Unlike the panel interview and the interview lesson there is not much out there on what to expect when being interviewed by children, What will they ask? What is the head trying to find out from this? How much will my responses to this part of the interview affect my chances at the job?
    Thanks,
    K

2. Dear Theo,
    I have my first interview coming up soon for a KS2 post (I am an NQT) and in the letter inviting me to interview it says this will include a short q & a session from children on the school council. Unlike the panel interview and the interview lesson there is not much out there on what to expect when being interviewed by children, What will they ask? What is the head trying to find out from this? How much will my responses to this part of the interview affect my chances at the job?
    Thanks,
    K

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Who knows? But do a search on this forum for school council, and you'll see what children have asked in the past.
    Q2 Who knows? How you interact with children seems the main point is my guess.
    Q3 Who knows? My crystal ball is in for its annual service so I cannot even guess here!
    You've done well to get an interview, congratulations. Now to actually nail that job.
    By the way, have you read the shortlisting, FAQ and interview clickables inside the Welcome thread? Very useful overall.
    Best of luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com
    There is also another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of the above and for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. I've had a school council interview before. It was obvious from the wording that some of the questions had been forwarded by the SMT, for example I was asked about my experience of working with children with SEN/disabilties (the school has a very large SEN support base) and then other questions were clearly their own - I was asked about my favourite subjects at school, hobbies and even asked if I had performed on a stage!
    It depends on the school their reasons for a school council panel interview. I know the school where I used to work would listen to the panel's views on each applicant and who they liked, but sometimes their reasons didn't relate to answers given in the interview, eg they liked Miss X because 'she had nice shoes'.
    Just relax and enjoy it - I really like doing these type of interviews.

5. School council interviews are, for me, the nicest bit of the interview! I genuinely like answering their questions, and don't forget, you can ask them questions too! Just be as positive as you would be in a classroom (e.g. 'that's an interesting question') I think you'll find it will all be ok. I got asked if I gave out stickers a lot.

6. Ahhhh, don't stress! I always love these bits! After all, we're supposed to be best at communicating with children so enjoy doing what you do well!
    My last interview that I had a School Council interview-type thing with was brilliant. I got asked what my personal hobbies are, do I ever use them in school, what biscuit would I like to be, what clubs would I run, what animal would I be, what's my favourite subject to teach and why... it was seriously really good fun and the most at ease I felt all day. There was a TA with them and they all filled out little interview sheets, very cute.
    I didn't get the job (apparently I led right until the last candidate where she gave slightly more info about value-added than I did......dammit! My scores were better than hers, I wish I'd plugged them more..!), but the School Council put me top. I honestly think it's because I was just relaxed and being myself - other candidates came out all flustered. If you nail your interview and you're chilled and fun with the kids, you'll have a really really good chance.
    Just be prepared for some random questions!!
    Good luck!