1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - same vacancy previously applied

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dalton, Jan 29, 2016.

1. dalton

dalton New commenter

@ Dear Theo

A school that I applied to end of last year has re-advertised the vacancy that I was rejected for. Could I re-apply? Should I ask on what grounds they thought I might have been unsuitable for the position? I would like to work at this school as its a very good school and its convenient to get to.
    Any advise would be grateful

Dalton

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do you mean that you were not shortlisted, or were interviewed and not appointed? Did they actually appoint somebody, as far as you know?

I wouldn't . . . a school would be reluctant to be put on the spot in this manner. You could, however, ask if they would be happy to receive applications from candidates who applied last year when they advertised the post. It might be another vacancy in the same department.

I do hope that you didn't/don't say that in any application. ;) And I am not just referring to the punctuation . . .

In general, when people have not been appointed I tell them that the competition is different this time round, and so a well planned, well thought-out and well presented application could swing it this time round.

Have you found all the applications advice? Tag me @TheoGriff if not, and I'll post some links for you.

Best wishes

3. dalton

dalton New commenter

@TheoGriff - Thank you for your help. I didn't get short listed and they didn't have enough applicants for the position. So they didn't interview. They have advertised for a start in September 2016. No I haven't used the wording to say why I wanted to work for them.

I have had a look at your application advise, but still could post some links please.
    thank you.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thought you'd have more sense than that!

Perfect!

In which case you can re-apply without bothering even to ring them up.

Many schools have a policy that they will not shortlist if they don't have sufficient appropriate candidates. Nothing unusual therefore in them re-advertisng now.

Applications advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

2. Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Blank E.S. Pro-forma for job applications***NEW ***

Letter of application for a teaching post ***NEW ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications