1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo.........reusing a personal statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You need to angle the statement to the specifics of what the school is looking for.
    Obviously your experience,philosophy and teaching methods etc aren't going to vary, but the other info, why you are the ideal candidate for the job needs to be 'angled' towards the requirements of the school and the post.

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I applied for a post recently and I took 2 previous personal statements/cover letters and mashed them together and tailored, so long as you get the tailoring done you'll be fine.

3. I totally agree with Moony! I take the best bits of previous statements, combine them and then adapt them for each relevant job! As long as you proof read it (if employer Y reads a statement referring to employer X, that would be a disaster!) and make sure that it's definitely tailored to the job that you're applying for at the time, then why not?
    Good luck!

4. Thanks all for the reassurance. I've taken my original and am now tailoring it to the person spec of my next application - it's quite similar to the first, if in a slightly different order. Obviously taken any reference to my first application out!!

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

The key thing to remember is that each school wants the best they can get, and the jobs all involve marking etc so that stuff is easy, you've just got to tweak to ethos and the things they seem to favouron their website.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's the idea.
    BUT . . .
    have you written your executive summary first? (Your what? You don't know what that is? Off you go immediately to the Welcome thread and read those Shortlisting clickables!)
    Writing your summary helps concentrtae your mind, so that your actual statement or letter is more closely tailored to the school and what it needs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Lots of posters have found that the executive summary gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    One of the most common errors is to have another school's name in your application . . . We never got that in the days before word processors!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com