1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Returning to UK from overseas

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rcabarnes, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Dear Theo, I would appreciate some advice. I have been working in an international school since 2003, and am since November I have been applying to return to teach in the UK. All the way along it has been polite acknowledgements and hearing how I was part of a strong pool of applicants, but...

I am in a senior management position and cannot help feeling that my current location and (possibly) salary is deterring UK schools from hiring me. How can I make myself more marketable to my colleagues in the UK?

Many thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very possible
    Depends what sort of school. And what sort of salary! Have a look at the UK salary scales - you can find them in the Pay & Conditions forum - to see if this is so.
    By being in the UK.
    Well, you did ask! Being abroad is a grave disadvantage, to be honest. They won't want to pay your expenses, and won't want to ask you to pay them either, so the easiest thing to do is to ignore your application.
    In this thread, Mainwaring has a good idea for a sentence to write in your application:
    End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?
    There is also the "out of touch" aspect. Are you? How can you prove otherwise, and make this clear in your applications. Think about it.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.