1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Returning to the UK

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Macito, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I have been a primary (mostly junior school)teacher for 16 years, mostly abroad, and am returning with my family to the UK in June. The last time I was in the UK (2001) I found supply work easy to come by and in fact ended up being taken on by one of the schools for the rest of the year. However, I am concerned that, with the financial crisis and the doom and gloom I have read on some of the message boards that supply work is much harder to come by. I have saved enough for us to get through one year without any work (worse case scenario) but would prefer not use all my earned savings like this. We are planning on returning to Beverley (and so could work in Hull and the East Riding. Any advice?

Gulf Mariner

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you looked at the Weather Forecasts here recently? You must be mad!
    Well you are correct that the job situation in the UK is difficult for teachers. Especially for Primary. Especially for people top of scale and therefore expensive (and no, you cannot choose to be paid less to get a job). And, to make it worse, especially in NE.
    Supply has almost dried up, so you are right there too, if that's any consolation.
    My advice? Here it is in easy stages:
    1) Read this that I wrote last year - and bump it.
    End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?
    2) Set up a TES JobAlert to get news of all possible posts when you are back in the UK and job hunting
    3) Don't forget the independent sectror - set up a JobAlert for them too. Read all about the sector in the Welcome thread of the Independent Forum here.
    4) Write the Best Possible Application. There's' free advice a-plenty in the Welcome thread here - read the FAQs and the shortlisting clickables to help you there.
    Best wishes!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.
    Look forward to seeing you then!

3. Thanks for the advice. I don't really have a choice about returning (family circumstances) and I would have preferred to stay another year or 2. One other thing about the NE (if that is what Beverley is classed as) how recent is your information re the scarcity of work there as I was talking to my sister, based in Beverley and also a top of the scale teacher, who does supply 2 days a week. She says she regularly turns down supply work.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The answer is that I get details from John Howson who is the TEA analysist. He is on the ball.
    If your sister, however, says that there are supply jobs in Beverley, then that's the best source! I do know that for a couple of years the Hull/Beverley area has been getting very poor results in league tables. It may be that they have decided to invest more in teachers and not Cover Supervisors, which would be good news for you.
    The state of the teaching jobs market - questions answered by John Howson
    Here is some recent info - says nothing about the NE though.
    Bestof luck
    one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.
    Look forward to seeing you then!