1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Returning teacher

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by JoPoBr, Sep 10, 2015.

  1. JoPoBr

    JoPoBr New commenter

    You answered my question a while ago - about returning to teaching after 10 years overseas leaving before I did my NQT year. Thanks very much for your reply. Am hoping you can help me with another question. I have been given lots of advice and cannot do day to day supply anymore as have passed the 5 year limit.

    My question is what would be the best option - do a return to teach course, volunteer in a school or apply as a TA and then as a class teacher.

    In the last 10 years, I have taught for 6 years overseas, but not in the last 3 years.

    I am also going to apply for jobs in hope, but realise a lot has changed and this may not be possible without recent experience.

    Thanks in advance
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    So difficult for you . . .

    Are there still any reliable Return to Teaching courses? I know that there are no longer government sponsored/approved ones. Do be careful about ones run by local colleges and universities with no guarantee of anything except taking your fees.

    Volunteering in a school may be tricky as so many people want to do it. But you DO need up-to-date school experience, so try this as well as also applying for TA posts.

    Best wishes


    Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.
  3. Deirds

    Deirds Senior commenter

    There aren't Return to Teach courses anymore but if you sign up on Return to Teach you can get advice. It doesn't overcome all the problems of taking a lengthy break but there some useful next steps. You get a Return to Teach number that you can use to attend SKE courses. Maths Hubs run courses in switching to Maths and Physics teaching. It may be that other shortage subjects are making similar provision.
  4. JoPoBr

    JoPoBr New commenter

    Thanks both for your replies. I have heard of one return to teach course - will investigate how useful it will be. I have a return to teach number but have not received any information and didnt know about courses - will look into this some more.

    Thanks again
  5. A good option is to work as a teaching assistant for a while to get yourself back into schools and you will find that you will end up covering lessons. This will help with gaining recent teaching experience. Have you thought about supply? Randstad offer supply for support staff so would be great to start you off. Where are you based?

  6. JoPoBr

    JoPoBr New commenter

    Thanks Sean. Will look at Randstad, although I can only do teaching supply if its at least 1 term that will count towards NQT. Day to day supply is now not an option due to length of time away from teaching. Not sure if I can do supply as a TA. I will be based in Northamptonshire. Going to start looking at teaching assistant roles - I think that is the best way to get back to school.
  7. John_in_Luton

    John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

    If you're applying for TA roles, apply direct to schools, not through an agency.
  8. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Actually I know that John will agree with me if i amend his post above:

    If you are applying for any post in a school, apply direct to schools, not through an agency.


    (I know he'll agree because we have both said it time and time again.)

    The exception is for Headteacher posts where a Search Agency is being used.
    Best wishes


    Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.
  9. John_in_Luton

    John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

    Yes indeed!
  10. mirigirl

    mirigirl New commenter

    I don't know if it will help, but you could try contacting Empowering Learning. They specialise in obtaining QTS for teachers trained abroad, and in placing overseas-qualified teachers. They might be able to help you...
  11. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Hmn . . .

    We do have a policy here not to recommend any specific agency, whether supply agency or training agency. Just as we may not post about a named/recognisable school or named/recognisable individual in a school.

    Schools involved with such agencies have not always been very impressed with the "interns" on placement, and the clients not always very impressed with the training and placements provided by agencies like these.

    I am not, of course, referring to this specific agency, as to do so would be contrary to the Terms & Conditions of the TES website, but in general to any paid service offering to train and place teachers in schools.

    As a general rule one would wish to be cautious and not take at face value claims made on websites, and consider very carefully the value of what is offered, and indeed the value accorded by a recruiting school to a reference written on the basis of an 18-day internship.

    Best wishes


    Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.
  12. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    Absolutely agree with Theo and John.
  13. CWadd

    CWadd Star commenter

    Empowering Learning? No. Just no.

Share This Page