1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- requesting a Saturday off

Discussion in 'Independent' started by jesskiboiski, Jul 20, 2015.

1. jesskiboiski

jesskiboiski New commenter

Hello,

Hoping for a bit of advice! I'm starting at my first independent school in September, a boarding school which includes Saturdays. I start back the first week of September. The issue I have is that I'm due to be a bridesmaid at my best friend's wedding on the first Saturday back. I got the job in January and to be honest it didn't even cross my mind then to mention it as it seemed like an age away and I have never worked Saturdays before!

I have now attempted twice to contact the school regarding this request for the day off. I have asked my HOD and the HR manager who I needed to contact to request the absence but didn't receive a reply from either.

I have been given my timetable for the new year and do not actually have lessons that day but I am sure I will be needed for sport and other things so would like to get this sorted ASAP.

Obviously now the school has officially closed for the summer but I know the HR manager is working as she is getting in touch next week regarding my accommodation.

Just wondering what you suggest I should do about this situation? The worry is slightly ruining my summer holiday!

Thanks very much

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you tried ringing the office mid morning? Or the HR Manager? More immediate than email . . .

And don't just ask for the day off - ask what you can do to make up for the time off. As you are not in school yet you don't know enough to actually suggest an extra contribution yourself, in exchange for this time off, so could they suggest something suitable?

The chances are that they will say that you needn't do anything, but it's always good to look obliging.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's good that you are not timetabled for lessons on the Saturday morning concerned, but remember that in independent schools staff normally cover for one another (there are not normally cover supervisors) so once you have permission to take the day off make sure that whoever organises cover (often a deputy head) knows that you will be absent that Saturday and therefore not available for cover.

Also, if you think you are likely to be needed for Saturday afternoon games, make sure that whoever organises the rotas (usually the head of games) knows that you won't be available on the day concerned.