1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - References

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Dance49, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi. Just a quick question. I qualified from a pgce July 2011 and have been doing daily supply since then. On applications I am currently completing am I still ok to be putting my university tutor and final placement mentor, or would that be considered out of date already? As I've been doing daily supply and no one ever sees me teach I don't feel there is anyone appropriate from that side of things and I am very reluctant use an agency reference. Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Absolutely right not to use agency - BUT in theory you should give them as your current employer. Sort of, anyway.
    But everyone knows that Agency references are rubbish.
    So I suggest that you think first if there's a school where you have done a bit of supply, more than just a day or two. Hopefully even one where they have asked for you to go back, and see if there is someone there who could write a reference.
    If not, then give the other two references, and in your letter/statement have a brief paragraph at the end: In addition to my two professional references, a third reference may be obtained, if you wish, from the XYZ Supply Agency through whom I am currently placed in schools as a Supply Teacher. Their contact details are:
    Read these two threads for general advice on applications, and about making the most of supply:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February (Although I believe that this is now full)
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com