1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ethnic, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Dear Theo

Happy New Year!

The referees that I am using are just over 18 months old. I have been told that referees are only good for 2 years. Is this the case?

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And a Happy New Year back to you! With a nice shiny new job too, I hope.
    No, there is no sell-by date for references. But obviously, ones that are from ages ago, because you aren't actually in work now, could make a school think that you are not up to date, that you have lost some of your skills.
    So the issue may be "being out of work" rather than old references.
    The only rule for references is that one must be your current or most recent employer in a job involving children. Which means the Head, even if you have never ever set eyes on her/him in your gigantic secondary school - s/he'll get someone else to write the reference who actually knows you and just sign it, but it must still be the Head who is the official first referee.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Thanks for that Theo and bets wishes for the New Year!