1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear Theo - References

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bethany2009, Nov 26, 2011.

1. I went for an interview and didn't get the job as I did not answer one question elaboratively. I followed all interview advice and if I had had time to research a lot I would have got the job as they were impressed with the way I answered questions and they said my application was strong. My question to you is, I have been requesting references from places were I have done short term supply, although they have not said they can't keep writing references I feel they have written a lot and don't know if I should keep pestering them for references. Also can I get references from schools where I have done 4 days of supply? I feel hopeless.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done - a real near miss.
    Well done again!
    And yet again, well done! All this is very heartening.
    The point is that they don't keep writing references - they just change the name of the school and print it off. It's the secretary who does this.
    Yes, but they know you less well. And - they can't just go to the computer, change the name of the school and print it off!
    It's a bigger burden on them.
    How near are the othet schools which you use for references? Could you go to Sainsburys or Tesco and get a tin of Roses or Quality Street (they are on offer, fairly cheap) and take it to each school as a thank you for the past - and hopes for the future?
    They would be very surprised and pleased to get that!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I meant, of course, one tin each - not that you buy one, open it there and give them a few chocs!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thank you, I will certainly do that. And thank you for the reassurance.