1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jelly1984, May 10, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I completed my PGCE in 2009. I found out I was pregnant while on my final placement which made a stressful time even worse. I had a very challenging class and a not very supportive class teacher mentoring me. 2 years on I have done a term's supply teaching and I'm now applying for nqt jobs.
    My question basically centres on who to use as references. I've managed to get a deputy head at one of the schools I've worked at on supply as one but I wanted your advice on who to choose for my other.
    I know you've said in previous posts that agency references can be pretty short but my other option is my Uni tutor from my PGCE. I know that he has written me a pretty decent reference but I'm worried about the report my mentor wrote. She wrote nothing positive (despite giving me positive feedback on lesson observations) and wrote some actual lies (for example that I hadn't written my long evaluations when I had told her that I was going to have them all printed in time for my final visit with my uni tutor).When I spoke to my tutor about this at the end of the course he said he had to include it but that "often a report like that tells you more about the person who wrote it than the person it's about." However this doesn't really help me when competition for jobs is so high!
    Sorry for the lengthy post but who do you think I should use as a referee- my PGCE tutor or my agency?
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The benefit of an executive summary
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    [​IMG]

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!