1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Reference

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ithaka-, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Ithaka-

Ithaka- New commenter

I have signed a contract to start in school A and my last head from school B has not yet sent a reference.
    School A says that without a satisfactory reference from school B, they will withdraw the offer.
    Now, I am doing supply work , for the whole half term, in school C.

My questions are:
    -Should I chase school B to send the reference and how? I believe that I had an ok relationship with the head but I decided to resign after a couple of "observations" and before I was put in a "plan". I did not ask for an agreed reference.
    -Could I contact school A and tell them I am working in another school and I can provide them with another referee?
    It will probably look bad.

2. Ithaka-

Ithaka- New commenter

Answering my question
    Should I call school B and tell the secretary to kindly remind the head that school A is waiting for my reference?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

Yes, do both.

Nab the school sec - during Assembly is usually a good time if you can phone then, although you may have to e-mail her if you are busy working. Put as the E-mail header I need your help, Susan! (Obviously if she's called Marianne, you change that!) ;)

Then write to School A saying that you have contacted School A to ask for the reference, but that as you are currently teaching in School C, Ms X has kindly agreed that she would write in support of your application for employment at your school if you should wish her to do so.

Mind you ask Miss X first!

Good luck!

Best wishes