1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - reference

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by princesstulip, May 1, 2012.

1. princesstulip

princesstulip New commenter

Dear Theo
    I'm applying for a job at the moment to start in September and don't know which 2 references to give.
    I'm an NQT, started in January so will be 2 thirds through induction in September. I didn't plan to leave my current school so soon but personal circumstances mean I really need to move back to where I come from. The school I'm applying to is where I trained last year - I took a school-based course so spend most of the year there.
    I know my first reference needs to be my current head teacher, although she doesn't know me well as she only started this term. For any other application I would put as my second reference my PGCE mentor. But she still works at the school I'm applying to. DOes this totally count her out as a referee? And if so should I put my deputy head for the second reference?
    Thanks

2. princesstulip

Dear Theo
    I'm applying for a job at the moment to start in September and don't know which 2 references to give.
    I'm an NQT, started in January so will be 2 thirds through induction in September. I didn't plan to leave my current school so soon but personal circumstances mean I really need to move back to where I come from. The school I'm applying to is where I trained last year - I took a school-based course so spend most of the year there.
    I know my first reference needs to be my current head teacher, although she doesn't know me well as she only started this term. For any other application I would put as my second reference my PGCE mentor. But she still works at the school I'm applying to. DOes this totally count her out as a referee? And if so should I put my deputy head for the second reference?
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Doesn't matter that the Head doesn't know you well. In a large school, the Head might never have set eyes on you after the first day!

So Head is refefee number one, she will consult with someone who knows you well.

For number 2, I suggest that you ask your mentor. You really shouldn't anyway put anyone down as a referee without asking first, but it is doubly important in this case. It should be OK, but if that school prefers not, then you ask someone else at your current school.

Best of luck!

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

4. princesstulip

Thank you for your reply.
    My mentor has written all my previous references but I have asked about this one and will see what she says.
    I have another reference problem for a different application. It is a standard local authority application form. The references section gives space for 2 referees and it asks for the first referee to be current or most recent employer as normal - but then it says "references must cover a 5 year consecutive period".
    I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this when I've only been teaching for a few months, prior to which I was a supply teacher with various agencies, obviously training before that and had several different jobs before training. I would have to give about 5 or 6 different referees to cover 5 years, not 2. Most of those would know nothing relevant to a teaching position and I no longer even know the contact details of all.
    Perhaps this is just a standard comment and is not meant for NQTs?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, don't worry. If there's a space, point that out, that you have not been employed for 5 years.
    Best wishes