1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo reference refused

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rlh1285, May 13, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I left my previous post under less than ideal circumstances after I was involved in a serious car accident and was unable to carry on at the school. My relationship with the head soured, and I felt it was impossible to return there.

I am now recovered and was hoping to start some supply teaching. I've just been informed by the agency that the head is refusing to give a reference as I only taught for 30 days. My union says that they are within their rights to refuse. All teaching posts require a reference from previous school. Don't want to be over dramatic, but does this mean I will never be able to get another teaching post? Is there anything I can do to fix this situation?

Many thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I guess that the good news is that you have recovered after your accident. I'm glad to hear that.
    Is your union giving you no advice here as to action to ensure that you get another job? My advice would be to approach your previous school to act as referees, dexplaining that because of your accident and subsequent absence, you were only teaching for 30 days and this is not sufficient, of course, for the school to give a proper reference. You will then explain exactly the same thing in your application, so that they understand why you are not giving your most recent employer. It is important that you always explain anything slightly out of the usual, as otherwise the shortlisting panel will assume the worse.
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's the spirit! Good luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!