1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - reference question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gila, Dec 5, 2011.

1. As part of my feedback after a rather nice interview day at a lovely school (didn't get the job...), the headteacher advised me to find a different referee. I was quite upset obviously, as I believe I might have got the job had my reference been more supportive. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good either, I think. There was an issue at my last school, some might call it a 'personality clash' (and I wasn't the only staff member concerned), whatever - there is no point going into it now. I have asked the deputy headteacher, who I got on well with, if she would be my referee instead, but she is leaving at Christmas and has said no. I'm working as a supply teacher and hope that at some point I will get a booking which might be longer than just a few days, and that might give me a chance to use a different referee. My question really is: how long do I have to work at a school before I can ask them if they would provide me with a reference? And would this reference, if it's only for a supply position, be better than a lukewarm reference from my last school? By the way, I have a very good reference from the previous post as well.