1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Reference query

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by talentedbeads, Nov 16, 2015.

1. talentedbeads

talentedbeads New commenter

Dear Theo,

I'm currently volunteering at a local primary, two mornings a week, but with the intention of applying for teaching jobs in the future. Unfortunately I didn't manage to secure anything for this September, and I've only been at this school since mid-October. I don't want a permanent role here (jobs don't come up that often anyway) but I would like to use them for a reference. My questions are:
    1. Would I have to ask the Head to be a referee, even though he's only seen me around the school a couple of times? I applied to volunteer through the school's business manager, and didn't enquire about a future reference at the time (thought it might seem cheeky!)
    2. How long should I be volunteering before asking them for a reference? Does it matter if the teacher whose class I'm with isn't in a leadership role?

I would appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there and thanks for nice numbered questions!

Q1 Yes, ask. He will probably ask somebody else to draft it for him.

Q2 At least a month or two, I would think.

Q3 No it doesn't matter.

Have you seen all the applications advice, by the way? Ask me - with a tag like this in the body of your post @TheoGriff - if you haven't.

Best wishes

3. talentedbeads

talentedbeads New commenter

Thank you and I will be perusing the applications advice in due course!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)