1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - reference query

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by vintagestyle, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

Hopefully this is the right place for this ...
    Was off sick with work related stress earlier in the year, union got involved etc, managed compromise agreement and agreed leaving date. However, it took a while so I do have lots of absence. Part of agreement was not to talk about specifics with anyone, including employer.

I was wondering a) what to say if I am asked about the absence (can they ask?) and b) will my referee state on the form why I was absent? Finding it a bit of a handicap when job hunting.

Many thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you have been unwell, but glad to hear that this is all past you now.
    The problem here is that the govt has got itself in a pickle over DDA/Health issues in appointment and employment, telling people they mustn't discriminate, but on the other hand putting a legal obligation on Heads to ensure that anyone that they appoint has physical and mental health that makes them fit for teaching.
    Daft!
    So yes they may ask, yes the referee may tell them.
    Best thing is to come clean in your application so you are not looking to hide anything.
    A short, brief mention of the fact that you were ill, that it is over and will not be a problem again, because having come through this so successfully, you are now much better equipped than many people to cope effectively with the everyday stresses that teaching provides.
    Brief and to the point! And putting it as an advantage.
    Don't forget to read the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread to getr advice on how to write a perfect application!
    Best wishes
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.
    Look forward to seeing you then!