1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo reference problem

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Try again, last post lost in cyberspace!
    Actually got a job to apply for! But VERY short time frame. Advertised Fri, closing date midday Wed! Phoned straightaway on Fri to request details and they said they'd put them in the post- would much have preferred e-mail I'd have them by now.
    So I have a problem to do with my second reference. School I was last employed at now closed and all staff moved on. Asked Head for ref. and was told no problem and took details of a colleague to use for my second reference. Duly e-mailed said colleague (now a DH at a new school), who has e-mailed back basically saying, to quote 'It raises questions when shortlisting if I don't give my previous DH as second reference.' Now not expecting this, I haven't asked my previous deputy if I could use them as a ref. or taken their contact details.
    My question is; can I say something like 'In view of re-organisation and needing to check with my former employers, can I foreward details of referees, as soon as I have made contact with them myself., Fri at the latest' Any other suggestions?
    Obviously I'll need to write this application tomorrow to ensure it reaches the school by Wed.
    Thanks in advance. Hope you check in before tomorrow Theo (or Middlemarch?)
    Apologies for length & confused post,or any errors- just panicking in view of the time-frame and wondering if the job's already gone in view of the time-frame!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They might not want to wait until Friday, and you should give the one that you do have so they can get started on collecting references.
    Actually it does not raise any questions if you don't give previous Deputy. S/he's just being difficult, I think. You might want to ask if you could give her/him as a third referee, in case not possible to contact the other person in time, but I think that the reference may not be v thrilling in these circumstances.
    Good luck - this may BE IT!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

3. Or, to put it another way:. May this be IT!!
    Break a leg!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thanks for that Theo- so much better than my garbled mumbo-jumbo. Plus thanks for the good wishes.
    So after lunch (when post arrives) will hopefully be able to start on writing my statement'letterof application and Exec summary.
    Though to be honest do feel they may well have someone in mind with such a short time-frame! So that application's got to be 'tip-top'!

5. Agree with sentiments above. Good luck Lara!!

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Good Luck Lara! I believe in you (clap, clap) [​IMG] x

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They are just getting it all sorted before half term, that's all.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

8. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

I have everything crossed for you Lara.
    You are such a support to people on these boards . Let us know how you get on - I will be thinking of you.