1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo reference and supply teaching advise

Discussion in 'Independent' started by violet18, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I left my previous schol before my notice period, due to stress caused by my line manager. The Headteacher agreed to waive my notice period. I have now joined some supply teaching agencies and they know about the situation. As I have never taught in the state sector, I would like to do some supply at independent schools. Do you think they would employ me for supply, given the reason I left my last school? A previous school I taught at has put me on their supply list so I wonder if I should teach there a few times and then use that school as my my most recent reference. The teaching agencies say that they do not give references.
    I will appreciate your advice

2. Dear Theo,
    I left my previous schol before my notice period, due to stress caused by my line manager. The Headteacher agreed to waive my notice period. I have now joined some supply teaching agencies and they know about the situation. As I have never taught in the state sector, I would like to do some supply at independent schools. Do you think they would employ me for supply, given the reason I left my last school? A previous school I taught at has put me on their supply list so I wonder if I should teach there a few times and then use that school as my my most recent reference. The teaching agencies say that they do not give references.
    I will appreciate your advice

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry to hear that you had a difficult situation in your last school, but hope that things are better for you now you've left.
    Did you get advice from your union, by the way? You ARE in a union, aren't you? I always advise everyone to join a union.
    The problem here is that very many independent schools use supply teachers rarely or never . . . If they do use them, they have their "own" supply teachers that they call on, rather than going through agencies.
    So don't expect a lot of work, I'm afraid.
    That would make good sense - use them for applying for permanent posts too. They will count as your main referee. But you'll also need someone from your last school, as it will look very fishy if you don't. Is there anyone there (Head of Year, for example, if you were a Form Teacher) who would give you a reference?
    Most agencies do give references, but they are pretty hopeless. A typical one would be:" Mr Theo Griff has been contracted by us a supply teacher of Chemistry since Easter 2010". That's it. The lot. Nothing more.
    So most people avoid giving them as a referee if at all possible.
    Pop along to the JobSeekers Forum and read all the clickables inside the Welcome thread to get a feel for how to go about applying for a job.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars