1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - reference and retiring head.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by choccyicecreamyum, Jun 27, 2011.

1. As my maternity cover contract is coming to an end and still no nearer a job I will obviously have to look again next year. However this means I will have to do some supply (if there is any). As the head at my current school is retiring who can I put as a referee from my current/previous post on application forms.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could use the Deputy. Or you could still use the Head (check first), putting on the form that s/he is Recently retired Head of X school.
    I still write references that get people jobs!
    I wish you the very best of luck.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

3. I have just been applying and was out of teaching a while and my previous head also retired at easter. I have ended up putting a senior colleague at the school's name down with a comment stating that the head teacher had retired. It doesn't seem to be an issue. On the other hand, as Theo said, HT may still do if asked. My mum is a retired head and often gets asked to write references for her ex staff and happily does so, they use her home contact details.