1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, reference advice please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MissRAC, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,
    I am an NQT who qualified in 2010 but have yet to secure a position to do my induction. As well as doing supply work I am also employed as a part time youth worker so my manager provides references. My university tutors reference is out of date. My problem is that the supply work I do is day to day so I generally don't get to spend enough time in schools to be able to ask for references. I had one HT who says he is willing to supply a reference for me but I only worked in the school for 4 weeks! I also work as a facillitator/ workshop leader in schools and youth clubs during school holidays (some term-time on flexible learning days) for an organisation that provides this service.
    My questions are:
    1) Would it make sense for me to use the Head Teacher as a referee?
    2) Would a reference from the organisation I work for be acceptable?
    I am really unsure of what to do, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The best thing is 2 references from a school. The next best is one from a school and one from your tutor at Uni.
    Yes, that ref will be out of date, but be honest - have you progressed a lot since then? Have you had a lot of school experience? Probably not.
    So I suggest that you contact him/her and ask if you can still give as a referee - your reference will be on file.
    And please do take up the offer from the Head!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

3. Thanks Theo,I will take up Head Teachers offer but was told by another Head recently that his school would not accept my uni reference because of it being out of date.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If a school will only accept references up to a certain age, then they should say so.
    Er . . . why have you changed your name?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.