1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: referee issues

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by boperella, May 3, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am in my third year of teaching, and in my 3rd school. My first post was temporary maternity cover, my second perminant but horrific and my third (and current) is also temorary maternity. I am appling at the moment with my current head as my primary referee and my head of department as my second (its a large school.) I wouldnt dream of getting a reference of my last head as she hated me and the head before her wont provide me with a reference as she says i only worked for her for a year and she doesnt know me well enough. she said the same last year too.
    Ive applied for 5 posts so far this year and heard nothing. do you think the referee situation is causing people to be put off? I just want to settle into a permenant post now, 4 years ina row of applications and Im getting a little dispondent with it all.
    Thanks for your help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you had been in your current school for 3 or 4 years, it would be more natural to have both referees from there.
    But as MM says, having moved so much, been very short time in your current school and not giving any previous referees looks slightly worrying.
    I would also be worried about you wanting to move so often; you need to come out into the open and address this, albeit briefly, in your application. Otherwise the appointing committee will just think the worst!
    P.S. How do you know that the Head hated you? And another question - was she correct to do so?
    (Sorry - but that´s my reaction to this post . . .)
    Good luck in your application. Make sure that you read the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 12 days to go, both of these are nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!