1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: referee advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by serveandvolley, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    With regard to supplying references for a job, I have been asked to put down my previous two employers but MUST also state anyone I have worked for in the past two years where I have had conatct with children. I have been out of work for a while now but have recently started volunteering at brownies. 1) Although I have only been to a few meetings as a helper due to the Christmas break, I'm assuming I should include them as a referee, or maybe not?
    2) Also do the brownies count as an employer? In which case I can supply two excellent references from my previous teaching post or do I need to go back and include my previous school employer prior to this where I worked on a maternity cover and the Headteacher has now left, so I have no contact details for him. The maternity cover was prior to the last two years so not sure if this is relevant!
    Many thanks.

2. Here is what the job application states:
    Please give the contact details of two referees (this should include your last two employers). One referee must be your current or most recent employer. Where you are not currently working with children but have done so in the past, one referee must be from the employer by whom you were most recently employed in work with children. You must list every employer in the last two years where the job involved working with children.
    Thanks again.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Seems pretty straightforward.
    Although badly worded - 2 referees, including your last two employers!
    Q1 Brownies not teaching, not done much. Include them in the list of Jobs working with children. as it's a voluntary job and very much includes working with children. This is a Child Protection question.
    Q2 No, doesn't count as an employer, and not a good idea to put them as a referee. It will not give any idea of your teaching skills. 2 school referees is what you need here.
    Don't forget to read this advice:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thanks Theo. Just to clarify. taking the above into account, could I put two referees down from my last teaching position as I was in that school for the last two years or should I be trying to contact the previous school too where I completed a maternity cover? This position was more than two years ago and as I mentioned the head has moved on now. A previous email to the deputy received no response.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There is no problem with 2 referees from the same school.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Glad Theo was able to give the expert advice on this.
    It <u>is</u> usually quite alright to give 2 references from the same school, after all a colleague and Head are likely to have more 'current' knowledge of your abilities.
    Best of luck with the application!