1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Redundancy

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mazman, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mazman

mazman New commenter

I have been made redundant and if I accept a job for September, would lose my redundancy package. Would a school allow you to work on a voluntary basis for half a term to allow you to keep your redundancy money? The four week rule, seems unfair to me!

2. mazman

mazman New commenter

I have been made redundant and if I accept a job for September, would lose my redundancy package. Would a school allow you to work on a voluntary basis for half a term to allow you to keep your redundancy money? The four week rule, seems unfair to me!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, no! I don't see this as unfair at all, to be honest.
    Redundancy pay is to compensate for losing your job and being unemployed.
    If you start another job 1 Sept, having been paid by previous school up to 31 August - why should you be paid redundancy? You are not actually unemployed. Not at all. Not for one second.
    Your colleagues who are unemployed and desperate would envy you having an actual job. To have the redundancy money on top seems a bit much, to be honest. It would surely make you feel uncomfortable to be taking advantage in this way and getting the pay too.
    So why does it seem unfair to you that you should be actually unemployed for 4 weeks in order to qualify for redundancy pay as unemployed?
    No, most schools would not let you work unpaid - against union rules.
    Sorry.
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. mazman

mazman New commenter

I've never thought about it like that and I can see your point. Losing a job you love is devestating and I saw it as compensation for the fact that I may not get a job similar to my previous job..

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, losing a job that you love will be very, very hard.
    I just hope that you are lucky enough to get another job - even though you won't get the redundancy money!
    Read all the advice in the clickables inside the Welcome thread to get the best possible chance of winning that new job.
    Best of luck!
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!