1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Reasons for leaving a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by maltesefalcon, Mar 14, 2012.

1. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon New commenter

Dear Theo

I have left a full time job in an FE college for a variety of reasons. One reason is that I did a PGCE and want to find an NQT position in a school for September but also because of the death of my parents within 3 months of each other and also because changes in student numbers meant I was unexpectedly teaching Access rather than A level. I handed in my notice a few weeks after and then stayed till the permanent teacher was in place but am now struggling to explain all of this in a supporting statement. I have applied for two jobs so far (I know this isn't a huge number) but have not heard back from either whereas in the past I was getting short listed. I would welcome your advice on how best to explain why I left my last job. (Although I am still teaching on one evening class)

Thank you

2. maltesefalcon

Dear Theo

I have left a full time job in an FE college for a variety of reasons. One reason is that I did a PGCE and want to find an NQT position in a school for September but also because of the death of my parents within 3 months of each other and also because changes in student numbers meant I was unexpectedly teaching Access rather than A level. I handed in my notice a few weeks after and then stayed till the permanent teacher was in place but am now struggling to explain all of this in a supporting statement. I have applied for two jobs so far (I know this isn't a huge number) but have not heard back from either whereas in the past I was getting short listed. I would welcome your advice on how best to explain why I left my last job. (Although I am still teaching on one evening class)

Thank you

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The important thing is to address this in your application letter, and early on.
    But to address it briefly, not making a big deal of it.
    I suggest something along these lines: Having left my full-time post in X College to support my mother on the death of my father, and my mother's death following shortly afterwards, I have been continuing my teaching through a weekly evening class, and am now looking for the school in which to begin my NQT induction.
    And I'd like to say that I do feel for you - losing not one but two parents in such a short time must have vbeen then, and still be now, very hard for you.
    Best wishes to you
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Just wanted to offer my sympathies, anyone with an ounce of empathy will understand. A HUGE hug & best of luck in your future applications xxx

5. maltesefalcon

Thank you both!