1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Reading too much into an email?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by stumigoo, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Apologies for lack of paragraphs, I did have it all laid out very neatly, but Safari ignored my formatting.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Try putting where you want a paragraph - that usually works with Android, Chrome and iPad, so may well with Safari too.
    As for your big question, I am in a bit of a pickle there as both my Crystal Ball and my Mind-Reading Wand have gone on the blink, so there is just no way that I can tell you what the school is thinking or doing.
    The waiting is horrible for you, I know. The only good thing is that, if they are saying No, they are, as you say,letting you down gently.
    But I am crossing my fingers for you - let us know what happens.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. So I arrived at school this morning, only to be told by my Department Head and indeed the Rector, that the school in question had been in touch about references for me. Positive news hopefully, and it should mean that I am still in the race!
    Is it the done thing that references are used to 'make the difference' or to simply firm up a decision that has already potentially been made? I know my local authority works on the prinicipal of, 'position offered subject to references'.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I know what the 'done thing' is as far as I'm concerned, but couldn't answer for others, especially those outside the UK.
    I suspect Theo's answer will be much the same.

5. Could you elaborate further? This has been playing on my mind like you wouldn't believe!

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I meant that what I might do is not what other heads might/should/could do.
    And just because there's a 'policy' in any specific LA or school it doesn't mean that heads in those schools wouldn't go 'Ooh, not touching him/her with a barge-pole!' if the reference prompted it.
    Many reference requests for quite some years have asked specific questions, including the killer 'Would you employ this person again?'