1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, re: references.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by 576, Nov 5, 2015.

1. 576

576 Established commenter

Morning Theo.

I've found a job which I'm interested in applying for.
    My question regards whom I should choose as my second referee, it being a given that my current headmaster will be the first.
    I ask because I have heard it said that references 'expire' (in terms of relevance) over time and that makes sense but I'm not sure how long ago is too long ago.

My career looks like this.

1998-2003 School 1 - UK
    2003-2009 School 2 - UK
    2010-2012 School 3 - Overseas
    2012-2013 did a fulltime MA
    2013-present School 4 - Overseas

Although this is my third year at this school my Head was new this term, as was one of his deputies, the other deputy was new last year but only became deputy this year, in order words they don't know me that well.
    I wondered about contacting the Head who was here for the last two years.

1. Does it look bad if both references are from my time at the same school?
    2. Is a reference from a UK school 'worth more' than one from overseas?
    3. Would a reference from school 3 be too out of date to be useful?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these questions.

(Yes, I will be sending an executive summary with my application.)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hi there! I guessed that you were overseas from the timing of your post . . .

Thank you for helpful numbering of questions.

Q1 That's fine - although you have 2012 another school. Don't worry about current Head not knowing - he'll probably ask your HoD to draft it for him.

Who should be my referees?

Q2 A UK school would like that, so I suggest that you give as a 3rd referee someone from your UK school. You can put it in the letter If you would like a 3rd referee from a UK school, Ms Brown who was my HoD at Greengates School Bradford BD3 8TR from 2003-2009 would be willing to speak on my behalf.

Q3 Yes out of date as a 2nd reference. As an optional 3rd, that's their choice.

I assume that if you have an E.S., you have also read this

Returning to the UK after teaching abroad

Best wishes