1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Re:Primary Deputy Head Application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by boogle2604, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I am currently applying for a Deputy Head post in a different primary school after being in my current primary school for 10 years. I am rather 'rusty' when it comes to application forms and letters! (and interviews when I think about it!)
    Having read your comments about executive summaries and supporting letters, I was pleased that I had already started both. However, I am unsure on the headings to use for my summary; I am presently trying to use the headings on the Personnel Specification for the job, but they are numerous (it fills 2 sides of A4) and overlap considerably. What would you suggest I should choose for my summary headings? Can I just select them myself considering all the school's specifications? In addition, I am finding it difficult to be specific about certain aspects of the specification, e.g. "evidence of possessing an up-to date knowledge of the curriculm and developments across the school". I have - but how do I show evidence of this?
    A little advice and support would be very much appreciated!
    Many thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You need to:
    • prioritise
    • group
    • summarise
    • omit
    So, don't put on anything that is on the application form (qualifications, etc). See what is really really important for them - and in the case of something that is going to be assessed through the reference, or the interview, don't include it. UNLESS it is v important - e.g. Outstanding teacher and there you can honestly say something like: Lesson observations graded by Head as Outstanding.
    You certainly need to summarise - if you look at the example I give in the Shortlisting clickable, it wasn't like that on their spec, I have cut it down. And sometimes you can group several points together.
    As for your example, your evidence could be something along the lines of: Successful experience as KS2 co-ordinator, and support KS1 co-ordinator as appropriate.
    Best wishes