1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo quick question about interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by clear_air, Apr 25, 2012.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Dear Theo and all,
    Sorry, I know you get asked all the time, but I can feel myself starting to wobble towards headless chicken mode, so if it's ok, I'd like to ask the same old question!!
    I'm astounded to have an interview for a senco job in a primary school, and part of the interview process is to teach a lesson to some little junior (sorry, giving away my age!!) sen children, one that shows off my skills. My first instinct is to go for something that I'm really enthusiastic about, and have some considerable skill in - but it's not maths or English (but it is a subject they said in the details that thu are looking for). My question is, should I go with gut or go with lit/num?? Answers on a postcard please!!!
    also, I've never applied/been interviewed for a senco job before - your clickables on interview technique and questions really helped me; do you have any links for something I could be thinking about in preparation? I really don't want to make a fool of myself!! Thanks in advance.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My personal advice is always to choose something you are confident in and enthusiastic about. Just ensure there's lots of opportunity to showcase all those SEN 'coping strategies' to help children develop confidence and therefore be able to progress and push themselves.
    Best of luck with it.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Thanks Lara, I was thinking along the same lines myself. I was thinking of a little music lesson, something that gives the children a chance to shine on the same level as everyone else... I really believe in it, but sometimes I feel so out of step with the rest of he education world it's scary!!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview! That's great news.
    I teach pre-Reception sometimes - and that's not giving away my age in any way!
    You need to think of ideas for a lesson that will show learning and progress - those are the keys. And enabling the SEN pupils to show L&P requires special skills and planning. And enthusiasm. Lit/num are safe stand-bys, but if you can offer something in a subject that they are specifically interested in, that sounds good too.
    Where can you show most L&P for this specific group of pupils?
    That's the thing to concentrate on.
    Have you read this recently:

* * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *As a regular reader, you already know about our tradition on here that when you get a job, you start a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job! We look forward to reading yours!
    Best wishes and best of luck

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Thank you Theo, I shall be mulling over your advice, and yes, I put the interview lesson thread on my hotlist, as I am applying for jobs at the moment.
    My problem with learning and progress is that the only thing I know about these children is that they are sen in mainstream, and heir year group. I always think to myself, how on earth do I teach them something new if I don't know what they know???! Argh! It's a blooming minefield!!
    Would building self estemm through success count??! Argh! (this is me turning into a headless chicken for a moment) (the feeling will pass once I've got my children to school and done some research - I hope!! )

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Best wishes

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For me, this definitely <u>would </u>count for any SEN child, as what many of them lack is confidence and an unwillingness to try, in case they fail and let themselves down.

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

This is so how I see it, Lara - but it's such an unquantifiable thing...! I have a couple of ideas now (have been for a walk), so now I think I need to settle on which one is the best idea and build a little music sessionaround it. Lots of practical and interaction, lots of social and language skills, not too many new ideas to take on board but something tangible that we have learned, and a positive experience (hopefully!!) (no doubt they will be as po faced and nervous as children generally are in this situation - although I'd better not count on it! Pride coming before a fall and all that!).
    Thank you so much for letting me bounce ideas off you - one of these days I'm going to get a job that lasts longer than a couple of terms - and then you can bet your bottom dollar that Mr Air will get a job in a different area and I'll have to go through it all over again! Thanks again.[​IMG]