1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - quick query re medical

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gemmamarie08, Feb 11, 2016.

1. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I posted the other day having got a brilliant job :) references were received before interview and all good. Job offer is permanent and was told by head to resign. Have received my offer letter which says offer is subject to DBS (which is fine!)

Then it says also included is a medical questionnaire. Now, I'm a bit worried because I suffered with mild depression about 10 years ago around the time of my grandmother's death. Didn't need time off Uni and went on to be accepted onto a PGCE. No issues since until Oct this year.

In Oct, I suffered mild anxiety (no meds required) - this wasn't work related at all - I ended up being sole carer for a terminally ill relative who refused to accept outside help. GP gave me 4 days off work to literally put things in place.

I did, and returned to work without being required to see GP again. Have been perfectly fine since and even took on extra responsibility at short notice with no problems.

Just worried they won't want me :( I've honestly been fine apart from the above and I am currently employed.

Any thoughts appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Something 10 years ago . . .I wouldn't see that as a problem!

4 days'absence to care for terminally ill relative . . . I wouldn't see that as a problem!

Don't worry. Schools have a legal obligation to ensure Fitness to Teach; you seem pretty fit to me.

;)

Don't go into long explanations. Only put down the 10 year ago thing if you are really sure that you need to - you didn't take any time off, did you?

Seems to me that you have a pretty good health record!

Best wishes

3. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

Thank you so much Theo - don't know where we'd be without you!

The one ten years ago - I was at Uni (as an undergrad) but no, I didn't take anytime off and have obviously had a teaching job since.

The recent one I just took the four days, GP put anxiety on sick note but it was related to the situation with relative not work. I sought help from GP last year for same thing but no time off taken on that occasion - I just needed some signposts for support.

Thanks again!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter