1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: questions about application forms

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Weigh up the value of what people tell you. Are you being told by someone (eg a Uni Tutor, or a friend) who doesn't actually have much experience in being on school appointment panels?
    Makes hardly any difference. The letter uses up a bit of space with the "letterish bits", but if you still have room, that's fine. Only thing is: if you send in a statement, for heaven's sake make sure that you put your name on it! Best thing for letter and statement, whichever you send, is to have your name in bottom margin so it's on both pages.
    Yes - that's pretty clear.
    Yes.
    No, you send a letter too. In the box on the form you put your executive summary.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. princesstulip

princesstulip New commenter

Thank you very much for clearing all that up!
    I'm glad I spend some time reading through yours and other people's advice on here this week as I've now become convinced of the value of an executive summary. Because I've never been asked for one and it was never mentioned with jobseeking advice during my course, I thought it was some mysterious extra requirement for senior positions or secondary teachers!
    One last question, sorry! I already know it's not good to leave sections blank on forms. However, what about sections which clearly don't relate to NQTs, for example "in-service training courses" or similar?
    For this, would it be appropriate to mention specific training days from my PGCE? I took a SCITT course and did some interesting one-day courses e.g. outdoor learning and Forest Schools. Or will head teachers not expect to see anything for NQTs?
    Thanks!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, always put in the courses you've done, including Child Protection and Safeguarding.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

4. princesstulip

princesstulip New commenter

Thanks again. Also pleased to say that your advice on this forum has already helped, as I've been invited for my first ever interview next Wednesday!!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done you!
    Make sure you read the interview clickables in the Welcome thread
    Looking forward to that new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars