1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - questions about an application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lily_w, Nov 13, 2015.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Dear Theo,

I have been informally offered a job at a school through an ex-colleague (I used to work with them and they have since joined a new school and contacted me to offer me this position.) They invited me in this week and I met the Headteacher and discussed the job. They have explained that they cannot formally offer me the job yet as they have to go through a certain procedure, so I will have to submit an application form and take part in an informal interview. I have a few questions that I would be grateful if you could answer:

1) Is this common for a school to informally offer a job and go through formal procedures later?
    2) Should I fill out the application form as I would any other job and include an ES etc? They know me quite well so I'm not sure if this is necessary.
    3) Could I put the ex-colleague as one of my references, even though I'm technically giving my application to them to consider? (They were my HoD at my previous school.)
    4) In between working with this colleague and looking at this job, I had another job which I left for personal reasons. Do I legally have to put this Headteacher down as a reference? I only knew them for a term so they wouldn't be the best reference but I think I read somewhere that you have to put down your last Headteacher for safeguarding reasons. Is this still the case?

Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

Thank you for numbering the questions! Much easier for me to reply

Q1 No, they are just cutting corners! And, of course, since you have to submit an application and have an interview, you have not actually got the job yet. but you can feel pretty confident.

Q2 Yes, I would, so as to give them no reason not to appoint you. Suppose a governor enquires how this appointment came about? They will want to have evidence on hand to prove that you are worth offering a job to.

Q3 Yes, no problem.

Q4 You need to include your current or most recent employer in a job involving working with children and young people. What you could do is put down that Head, but write next to it Please see letter. Then in the letter say that you have given your most recent employer, but as you were only there one term, they may prefer to contact instead Mrs X, who is Headteacher at the school where you taught previously for 3 years.

Make sure you ask Mrs X first!

Hope this helps out.

Best wishes.

3. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Thank you for such a quick reply, Theo!