1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - QTS without PGCE?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Muttley_in_the_Midlands, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

I am being encouraged to apply for a GTP in a low performing school (came out of special measures last year, small 6th Form, one third SEN). The university backing the GTP does not award a PGCE for this programme, it just leads to QTS.
    Alternatively I could apply for a SCITT course which gives me a PGCE at the end as well as QTS.
    I am a mature student with 20 years of work behind me and my subject is Business Education.
    How important is it to have a PGCE? Will it lead to my CV being ignored in the future? Ideally I would like a position in a boarding school in the future, which are almost all independent. I have an excellent CV, including an MSc in my subject, but will the lack of PGCE hinder me when seeking a job in a top performing school?
    Thanks

2. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

I am being encouraged to apply for a GTP in a low performing school (came out of special measures last year, small 6th Form, one third SEN). The university backing the GTP does not award a PGCE for this programme, it just leads to QTS.
    Alternatively I could apply for a SCITT course which gives me a PGCE at the end as well as QTS.
    I am a mature student with 20 years of work behind me and my subject is Business Education.
    How important is it to have a PGCE? Will it lead to my CV being ignored in the future? Ideally I would like a position in a boarding school in the future, which are almost all independent. I have an excellent CV, including an MSc in my subject, but will the lack of PGCE hinder me when seeking a job in a top performing school?
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The important thing is to have a degree and have QTS.
    So I don't think that you need worry. After all - all those people who have spent 3 whole years training to get a BEd have not got a PGCE!
    Best wishes

4. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Thankyou for your reply. Any advice on training in what is obviously not an Outstanding school?