1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Pupil Premium/Intervention teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Kitten999, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Kitten999

Kitten999 New commenter

Dear Theo - I have recently found out my school (of some 6 years) will not be renewing my fixed term contract in September. This is due to a recent amalgamation and the funding pot becoming smaller.

I am a small group (fully trained) teacher and work mostly with Pupil Premium children from Year 3 to Year 6, as well as children who struggle terribly with maths.

I have been in that enviable position of loving my job so much, that being paid is like a bonus. i enjoy the difference I can make with these children, how their confidence grows and how positive they have become about their own learning.

As the school will still need PP support I am half hoping they can offer me something for September. However, I need to be proactive myself and see what's out there and possibly spread my wings. How do I go about finding out which schools need such interventions for their children? It is not something I have seen advertised on my usual teachers' job site for Essex. Is it a case of writing to or calling many schools to find out? Many thanks.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think many settings staff from within.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @Kitten999 , and welcome to our forum.

The first thing to do is talk to your regional Union office, as after 6 years this is not necessarily something that they can just do.

I am afraid that, like @minnie me , I believe that many schools will be using their own staff for this, rather than looking outside. I suppose that you could try writing to schools, but unfortunately I am nit sure that it will be very effective, since they may well feel that they can meet their needs internally. :(

Best wishes