1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Proof Reading Job Applications and Letters

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Delta88, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I just wondered what tips you have when it comes to checking spelling/grammar and information in a job application and supporting letter. I have been applying for jobs recently, but when I come to check my letter and job application after I sent them in, I always seem to come across a tiny error, even though I read through it carefully lots of times before I sent it and get my family too as well. I get annoyed at myself because I've heard that applications can get thrown away for one error, but I am so careful when I check it.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Proof-reading one's own work is often so difficult because one's brain 'interprets' what's on the page and fills in the blanks/mispelling etc. as it should read- you are the author after all. I usually ask husband or son to check through mine, after I've printed out a copy. I've found proof-reading a printed copyeasier than an onscreen version.

3. Thank you for the advice, I have been doing that as well.