1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Promotion Prospects

Discussion in 'Independent' started by chartere23, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Dear Theo,

I'm looking for advice on my prospects.

I'm currently a Head of Department (2 years in) at a mid sized boarding school. In addition, I'm responsible for the running of the School's charitable endeavours (including the Audit of Charitable activities) and the community service programme for the sixth form and an international pupil exchange. At the moment, I'm doing this in lieu of a games commitment and am not remunerated for it. In a previous job, I was the timetabler and managed the School's virtual learning infrastructure.
    Currently there's a job going as an Assistant Head (Co-curriculum) at another school and the job description seems to match the very work I'm doing (though likely with a more strategic responsibility).
    So in short, I wonder what you think about my prospects given my short tenure in my current post? Would you think it precocious to apply for this job at this stage of my career?

Thanks.

2. Dear Theo,

I'm looking for advice on my prospects.

I'm currently a Head of Department (2 years in) at a mid sized boarding school. In addition, I'm responsible for the running of the School's charitable endeavours (including the Audit of Charitable activities) and the community service programme for the sixth form and an international pupil exchange. At the moment, I'm doing this in lieu of a games commitment and am not remunerated for it. In a previous job, I was the timetabler and managed the School's virtual learning infrastructure.
    Currently there's a job going as an Assistant Head (Co-curriculum) at another school and the job description seems to match the very work I'm doing (though likely with a more strategic responsibility).
    So in short, I wonder what you think about my prospects given my short tenure in my current post? Would you think it precocious to apply for this job at this stage of my career?

Thanks.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My feeling here is - suck it and see!
    Get the job spec, and see if you can produce a credible Executive Summary from it. If you're not sure what that is, go to JobSeekers and open the thread pinned to the top, and then open the 2 clickables. How to Get Shortlisted and How Not to Get Shortlisted.
    If your exec summ seems pretty complete, then you are complying with most of their requirements, so go for it, despite the rather limited time that you have been doing the job.
    The only thing I will say is that if it's the post i think it is, with 970 pupils it's a big school, so you would be doing a double leap - leap in responsibilities and leap in size.
    Best of luck!

4. mr_a_non

mr_a_non New commenter

I was browsing this old thread and there's a point that I'd appreciate any new information on.
    I'm at a stage, with a few years under my belt, when I'm just beginning to think of applying for HoD jobs. Given that I currently work in a co-ed, mid-sized, HMC day school with some boarding, how much more difficult would it be for me to move to a boys, full-boarding, environment at a better-known school?
    Working in my favour is that I'm in a subject where there isn't always a plethora of applicants, and I'm currently involved in boarding and quite a lot of extra-curricular stuff; against me is the fact that I am probably at the less-experienced end of people who will be applying for the job.

Thanks.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

There are very few public schools now that are really "full boarding" and even in those that are, there are generally more day staff than boarding staff.
    You just need to look at what the ads say - sometimes boarding duties won't be mentioned at all, in other cases "willingness to help with boarding duties" may be a clue. Most boarding schools tend to appoint housemasters who are already on the staff, and hope to pick-up assistant house staff from new appointees who are keen to benefit from the free accommodation. In my experience, the appointment of HoDs depends much more on previous teaching experience than willingness to help on the boarding side.