1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: potential recession in UK and its effects on education?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by johnnysclayton, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Hello there,
    I'm from Australia and I'm thinking about living in the UK to teach, specifically London. However, after hearing much about the financial chaos through the EU, I'm wondering how this will affect the UK and particularly the schooling system. I read this article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/nov/11/eurozone-crisis-impact-uk) and am becoming a bit nervous. Clearly I don't know too much about the situation over the and am really curious to know what you think. What are you thoughts?

Thanks so much,

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There are too many Primary teachers at present seeking too few jobs. However, the recent rise in the birthrate will start working its way through primary schools and should mean some more vacancies.
    Secondary education also has some over-supply in subjects such as RS and the lesser-taught things like Sociology and Business Studies.
    But if you are looking for me to give you any predictions on how the eurozone crisis will impact (a) on UK and (b) on schools, I must warn you that Mrs TG carelessly smashed my crystal ball this morning when washing it.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars